Do you want to become a more effective coach? Then, follow these 6 reliable tips!
1. Know your trainees. Before you even offer recommendations, training, support, and motivation, you need to know the people that you are serving inside and out. You will need to get in-depth information about their skills, their weaknesses, and those things that prevent them from reaching their goals. Let me give you an example; If you are coaching people about career change, you will need to know their education background, their passion, their abilities, and their limits. These information can help you gauge as to what kind of job will suit your clients.
2. Active listening. As a coach, you need to learn the art of active listening so you can fully understand where your clients are coming from. Each time your clients are talking, take into consideration the words that they are using, their non verbal signals, and their tone. Give them 100% of your attention and maintain eye contact all the time.
3. Offer all. I am not sure why but there are coaches who are not willing to share everything they know to their trainees. If you really care about the welfare and progress of your clients, there should not be any reason why you would conceive some important information from them. Offer these people with everything that you know to speed up the learning process.
4. Create a trusting environment. It will work to your advantage if you can create a trusting environment where your clients can easily speak their mind without the fear of being judged. Allow these people to make mistakes and later on, learn from their mistakes. Never make them feel less about themselves each time they are unable to follow your instructions or they will certainly feel demotivated.
5. Motivate your clients. As a coach, you need to know how to motivate your clients and how to push them to do better and better. What I do is I make it a point to compliment my students whenever the situation calls for it. I also make sure that they are aware of their real worth by always reminding them of their great abilities and talents. Through this, I am able to help them improve their self-esteem.
6. Be a good communicator. Clear communication is the backbone of teaching and coaching. You can never inform or educate your clients effectively unless you have the ability to get your message across in a very easy to understand manner.
Source by Sean Mize